Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stamp Simply Challenge 129


This past Sunday I had one of the sweetest blessings when I opened my e-mail! It was a note from Sharon Johnson of No Time To Stamp? asking if I would like to be the March Guest Designer for her weekly Stamp Simply Challenge. What a privilege and honor to stamp alongside this wonderful group of designers! I feel like a little league player who has been invited to play with his favorite major league team : ) Sharon, thank you for this opportunity!!

Stamp Simply #129 - Punched Borders
The challenge is to use your border punches, or create the semblance of a punched border. You can use Nestabilities to make what resembles a punched border as Sharon did here, or even use a corner rounder punch to create a scalloped border. SCS has a tutorial on this here. If you would like to play, you can link your creation here or you can upload to SCS using the keyword ssnotime129.


I thought I would put one of the large images from Graphic 45's Domestic Goddess Paper to use. I cut out this blue ribbon winner for my focal point and pieced together some other papers from the collection for my background. I wanted to use the flowers as my scallop border but my scallop punch was too small. What then? Go to plan B and work with what you have so I just used my scissors and cut around the flowers leaving a small border. After coloring the rolling pin with a Copic R89 marker and Antique Linen Ink I adhered it with Paper Glaze. This layout is based on this week's 2 Sketches 4 You Challenge.

Alright, let's try this again - this time using a bona fide punch! The outside border was made with Fiskar's Threading Water Punch. Image and sentiment are from Crafty Secrets Girlfriends Images and Journal Notes. These are great for quick cards and Sharon carries them in her store. I thought I had square Nestabilities to make my frame with but apparently I don't so I used my square punch and trimmed around it. Funny how you can have boatloads of stuff and still not have everything!! DP is from K & Company's Ancestry's Pad. I used Brushed Corduroy Ink to color the lace and the paper. This layout is from Card Patterns Sketch. Both cards were inspired by this week's Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge. Thanks for stopping by and joining me in my visit to the Major Leagues! Hope you have a great Friday!

Please check out the design teams great creations:

Sharon Johnson: No Time To Stamp?


Barb Anders: Paper Pursuits

Jennifer Buck: The Buck Stamps Here

Jenny Gropp: One Krafty Kat

Tammy Hershberger: Stamp Happy

Janine Orchard: 2bKrafty

AJ Otto: The Willow Garden

Deb Saaranen: Dream In Color







19 comments:

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Oh, you are TOO funny! YOU are a major league hitter if I EVER saw one! LOVE both of your creations!!! LOVE the vintage feel you give your work and that lace on the 2nd card is just lovely! BOTH beautiful creations and lucky us -- we got 2 from you today!!! Don't spoil us!!! Thanks much for joining us!

Deb Neerman said...

These are just beautiful, Marlene! WoW, you really have a talent for 'vintage' ... these are fabulous creations!

I had to laff when I read your statement, "how you can have boatloads of stuff and STiLL not have everything." It's funny 'cuz it's true, lolol!

Cheryl Nelson said...

Fantabulous cards!!

Janine said...

I love the vintage style here Marlene!! Have a fabulous weekend.

Tracey said...

WOW!!! LOVE both these cards, but especially the take on the Card Patterns sketch...love the distress lace!

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

WOW ... look at you go girlfriend! Congrats on the GD spot ... you will love working with these ladies ... they are an AWESOME bunch!!
Your creations are wonderful! Of course I love that vintage feel and you pulled it off perfectly! I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your time in the Sharon Spotlight .. you deserve it and will make her proud I'm sure!!

Jennifer Buck said...

Love this! The lace is beautiful and I love how it mirrors the border. TFS! :)

Randi said...

I certainly understand the.... have boatloads of stuff but not the right stuff....concept. Go figure, right? Having said that your cards are wonderful. Thanks for sharing your art with us at SSCC.

Deborah Saaranen said...

Adorable designs Marlene! So happy to have you playing along with us!

Jenny Gropp said...

Just beautiful!!! Love 'em both.... that little rolling pin is the most perfect touch!!

Kathy Martin said...

What fun cards! LOVE the rolling pin on the first one! :)

Kay said...

Congratulations, how fun! Your cards are wonderful! I love the details you've added. Super job with the sketch! Thank you for joining us at 2S4Y! ♥♥ Kay

Heather P. said...

These are so pretty, and the details are fab!

Thanks for playing along with us @ 2S4Y. :)

lizaveta said...

wow! What an elegant cards!
Thanks for playing with us @ CP.

Barbara said...

Lovely vintage cards, Marlene!! Just gorgeous! So glad to have you playing with us this month!

Pamela said...

Wow! These are gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at SSCC! :)

Kazan Clark said...

both your cards are beautiful - thanks for all the links to the awesome projects by Sharon and the SCS tutorial
:) Kazan

Tammy Hershberger said...

Great vintage design, Marlene! I love this, and your punched border looks fab!

Laura Lee said...

Both cards are gorgeous... thanks for your comment on my blog.. and now i found your too...