Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Day Gift


 I have always enjoyed and admired these banners and I am so happy that I have finally had the chance to make one! The images and music paper are from Crafty Secrets Creating With Vintage Typography CD which will be coming out in a few weeks. The chipboard letters are also from Crafty Secrets. They were colored with a Copic and covered with Martha Stewart black glitter.
If you would like to see an enlarged version of the entire banner just click on one of the photos below and it will come up in the gallery. It is photo number one in the gallery.



This is  my Mom's Mother's Day present this year. It is embellished with little reminders of the things that tell the story of who my Mom is that is written on my heart. My parents are retired in live in a modest home  in the mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania. Mom enjoys gardening along with watching and feeding the birds. The little egg is from Vicki's Etsy shop.


Mom also loves to sew and quilt. When I was about 12 years old she began teaching me how to quilt. It never ceased to amaze me as she would patiently rip out seams again and again to fix my mistakes.


 Mom planted the seed in our hearts that it was good to have dreams and  pursue them ! She has painted and continues to encourage creativity wherever she goes. Even now when she comes across a fun trim or ribbon she will send it to me for my cards.


When we were growing up Mom played the piano and sang in the church choir. We learned that the wonderful and beautiful things in life are often the result of a lot of hard work and or practice. Yes we all had  music lessons and we pulled more than our fair share of weeds or at least that is what we thought : )


Last but not least - I don't know if you can tell but in this last this picture there is a gear underneath the rose embellishment. Mom not only  knows her way around the kitchen but she can handle a screwdriver and hammer too! So it was for all of us girls! 
Well that is the inspiration and story behind my banner. Thanks for stopping by and letting me share a little bit of creativity from my heart!
I hope you have a Great Day and Thanks Mom for being you!!!


Challenges:
Frilly and Funkie Sunday Share: Lace Trim, Sewing Embellishments, Applique, and Ribbon
Crafty Secrets: Images and Chipboard Letters
Stampin' Sisters in Christ: Spanish Moss for Bird's Nest

8 comments:

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Hi Marlene, your banner turned out so pretty and I loved reading the story about your mom. She sounds like she has many talents! Thanks for playing and posting in our Linky Party and I hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day
Sandy

ScrappySandie said...

Wow, Marlene! What an amazing work of love! I'm sure your mom will like it. I enjoyed "getting to know" her through your story and seeing the lovely details on each pennant. Very nicely done! Thanks for joining us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

This is FABULOUS Marlene! WOW! Mom is going to be SO PROUD and SO PLEASED with this heart felt creation! Absolutely awesome! Happy Mom's Day to you too ... you are 'quite a lady'! HUGS

Monika/Buzsy said...

Very pretty Marlene. Love the papers and the ribbons and laces. :o)

Diane said...

Marlene, this is amazing. I love, love, love this banner. What a fabulous idea to create one that also tells a story. Your mother sounds so sweet and so talented. Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ this week. We appreciate the added inspiration your contribution brings. Have a blessed week!

Amy Johnson said...

What a beautiful banner and a wonderful tribute to your mother. I love all the little details in the banner that tell the story of your life with her.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oh, this is completely marvelous! What a beautiful piece of work - so many lovely details and embellishments. And your post is such a sweet tribute to your mom. It sounds like she was a wonderful mentor to you.

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work with us on Sunday Share!

Hugs,
Linda

Candace said...

What a gorgeous project!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges! Hugs! :)